Final up to date: February 10, 2020
The Interstate Medical Licensure Compact Commission (IMLC) is now processing purposes for expedited licensure in 26 states and one territory. This makes the method for acquiring a medical license in these states easier in the event you already maintain your major license in one of many collaborating states.
The IMLC creates one other pathway for licensure and doesn’t in any other case change a state’s current Medical Follow Act. The IMLC additionally adopts a uniform and stringent customary for licensure and affirms that the apply of medication happens the place the affected person is positioned on the time of the physician-patient encounter. Upon licensure by way of the IMLC, the doctor shall be below the jurisdiction of the medical board within the state the place the affected person is positioned.
States presently accepting purposes for multi-state licensure
There are presently 26 states and one territory accepting purposes for multi-state licensure:
- New Hampshire
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
*As a result of Minnesota, Oklahoma, and Vermont are usually not states of precept licensure (SPL), so you possibly can’t enter into the compact with a MN, OK, or VT license. Nevertheless, you may get a licence to apply in these states by getting into the compact via one other SPL state.
Different states which can be a part of the compact
The next states, territories, and districts are a part of the compact, however haven’t but carried out full participation:
- District of Columbia
The next states have had laws launched to hitch the compact:
- South Carolina
To be qualify to take part on this program a doctor should fulfill the next necessities:
- Possess an lively, full and unrestricted medical license in an SPL state and are a resident, have a minimum of 25 p.c of their medical apply, or are employed by an entity in a type of states.
- Be a graduate of a medical college accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Training, the Fee on Osteopathic Faculty Accreditation, or a medical college listed within the Worldwide Medical Training Listing.
- Handed every element of the U.S. Medical Licensing Examination or the Complete Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination inside three makes an attempt, or any predecessor examinations accepted by the state medical board through which you maintain your major license.
- Efficiently accomplished graduate medical training accepted by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Training or the American Osteopathic Affiliation.
- Maintain an lively, time-limited specialty certification or a lifetime specialty certificates acknowledged by the American Board of Medical Specialties or the American Osteopathic Affiliation.
- By no means been convicted, obtained adjudication, deferred adjudication, neighborhood supervision, or deferred disposition for a felony, gross misdemeanor, or crime of ethical turpitude.
- By no means held a medical license subjected to self-discipline by a licensing company in any state, federal, or overseas jurisdiction, excluding any motion associated to non-payment of charges associated to a medical license.
- By no means had a managed substance license or allow suspended or revoked by a state or the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.
- Just isn’t below lively investigation by a licensing company or regulation enforcement authority in any state, federal, or overseas jurisdiction.